September 21, 1991
|1/2 teaspoon||cream of tarter|
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar|
- Combine egg whites, salt and cream of tarter and beat at medium speed of electric mixer until mixture turns foamy-white and doubles in volume.
- Increase speed and start adding sugar very slowly, takes about 10 minutes.
- Beat 5 to 10 minutes longer to dissolve every grain of sugar. Rub a little of the meringue between fingers. If it feels smooth, the sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Drop meringue by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in a slow oven (250 F) for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and leave to dry in oven 1 hour longer.
- substitute vanilla with a few drops almond extract.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut and 1/3 cup glace red cherries
Cherry almond meringues:
- omit vanilla
- fold in 1/2 cups glace green cherries, 1/2 cup chopped almonds and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
Chocolate chip meringues:
- increase vanillla to 3/4 teaspoon.
- Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips